Friday, February 9, 2018

How Big is Too Big?

Detail of "Penny in the Snow"
Good Morning Myra,

We talked about the big snowman painting? Here it is! Not quite finished, it's resting....

I almost abandoned the idea again, why paint a snowman so big? Because I can and I just want too. Those are pretty good reasons, so I had to hurry and get started, so no video of this... yet...
Process photo before I got too far along!

Trying to show you the scale. This big fella is resting on 5 gallon buckets that I acquired from the dumpster!


See the penny on the bottom right in the snow? Another way I'm trying to show scale. I decided to leave it there, so I sealed it in with Liquitex Gel Medium & Varnish, the liquid.

I was having way too much fun with this last night. I wrote on the canvas, I splattered paint, I scraped it the wet paint and I dripped more liquid gel medium & varnish around and on and on.

A little close up and still wet I'm pretty sure.

See the penny in there? I had to stop. I'll look again with fresh eyes tomorrow. Hate to go to far... speaking of, I'm thinking about leaving him without his eyes, nose or mouth... hmmm, something about that, what is it? Symbolic, metaphoric, hmmm...

Okay, bye for now,
-jM


2 comments:

  1. wow jm! this is really something! I love the starry sky detail at the top. A penny in the snow is such a great name...and to have the actual penny...genius!!!! I'm loving this large painting and yes...you can paint a snowman anytime you want! inviting in the winter and refreshing in the summer lol! I was quite drawn to the abstract quality of the scarf. I love the colors, the blue is so pretty. I love the writing too! You gelling girl! keep it up! you always make me want to get to work...and I will...after a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. boy...again I love the abstract qualities of the scarf...the pattern and the textural look with a hint of red...the writing looks like the wind blowing! wonderful!

    ReplyDelete